Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"Pictures" speak louder than words

Want to hear my "infomercial" version of this post?? "Click here to listen to the mp3!"

HEY YOU!

Are you tired of reading those regular, old, ordinary memoirs? 
Look no further! We have JUST the thing for you: a graphic memoir!
“A graphic memoir?!” You ask. “What’s that?!”
Well, a graphic memoir starts off just like any other memoir: it’s a personal account describing a significant part of the author’s life. But wait- there’s more! A graphic memoir is chalk-full of PICTURES! That’s right. The author tells its readers a great deal of important information through pictures, rather than using those boring old words. 

Alison Bechdel’s National Bestseller “Fun Home” manifests the saying, “pictures speak louder than words!” (Isn’t that the one??)

#1. (PAGE 107) Bechdel draws herself doing a “double take”:

Would you rather read something like this:
I had to look twice to believe she was talking to me.

Or look at a picture like this:




#2. (PAGE 97 & 75) Bechdel subtly sets the mood of her era:
Would you rather read something like this:
We listened to The Seekers on the radio. Those big spheric chairs were popular.

Or look at a picture like this:




#3. She shows rather than tells.


Would you rather read something like this:
I began inventing little symbols to write in my diary, to allow for the possibility that I had remembered the events in my day incorrectly.

Or look at a picture like this:




#4. (190) Some things are much easier to describe with a picture than with words. 

Would you rather read something like this:
They wore tight pants that showed off their ‘package’.

Or look at a picture like this:



#5. She juxtaposes what she was thinking with what she was actually saying. 

Would you rather read something like this:
I wanted to tell him exactly how I felt, but all I could say was ‘no’. 

Or look at a picture like this:


You look at the examples, folks! And tell me which memoir you would rather read...

4 comments:

  1. I wish i could make an infomercial comment for this, but that would require I have a video camera, and sadley I do not. I would agree with you though, some stories and situations are just better told with imagery rather then words. one of my favourite Technics Allison uses in Fun Home is like you said, when Allison is thinking one thing but saying another, like in this panel here. http://thegood.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/7-fun-home-alison-bechdel-9.jpg
    I think it is a very neat and effective way to accurately show such a situation, and it kinda has some humor in it seeing what Allison thinks apposes to what she says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's another great example of Bechdel's graphics 'illustrating' her inner thoughts (which often juxtapose what she is actually saying)!

    ReplyDelete