Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Biography - Part 4

 Interviews
In Alison Bechdel's memoirs, there is an extreme honesty in her recollections and realizations of her past, and when asked about these traumas in interviews she is very open.


In this interview, Alison goes in depth about her methods when creating her comics. She shows a step by step process with images and even goes as far as saying how she wouldn't be able to work without 'google image search' which is interesting. Even in a memoir research and reference is still really important.


 Here Alison discusses Fun Home and also reveals that she has no inhibitions about writing about her past, though her family wishes she weren't so in depth.

Also, Fun Home is currently being adapted in a theatre performance!

In The Guardian, Laura Miller describes Alison's newest work Are You My Mother?,

  "Like all of Bechdel's work, Are You My Mother? is furiously literary, full of citations and quotations, and crafty symbolic parallels to the books its author is so often depicted reading with furrowed brow. The presiding genii of this particular work include Adrienne Rich, Sigmund Freud, Alice Miller and, above all, Virginia Woolf and the British psychoanalyst DW Winnicott. ("I want him to be my mother," cartoon Alison says.) The concepts Winnicott contributed to object relations theory (the "good enough" mother, transitional objects, the true and false self, etc) provide themes for each of the book's seven chapters, but its swirling, circular structure derives from Woolf."
Source

4 comments:

  1. Wow! It must have taken her so long to make the book this way. I didn't realize every panel had so much thought and effort put into it. And so many passes before it is complete, it’s amazing and outstanding the journey she went through to create this book. Also I was not aware she wrote another focusing about her mother, I would truly like to read that one day. Just understanding how this book was created makes it that much more fantastic and interesting. I admire her for writing such a moving memoir and I admire her even more for doing it in such an amazing way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is a here link that shows her work in process and dedication

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how crazy I went when I read that Fun Home has been made into a musical- by famous composers whom I've studied in Music Theatre history no less!! I've searched high and low, but can't seem to find any clips from the musical.... Has anyone else been able to? I'd love to hear what Bechdel's story would SOUND like. Considering how much we've SEEN, it would be so interesting to add yet another sense to the story. This is the official website of the production, which you might be interested in checking out. It's run by the same company that puts on public works in Central Park every year (for free!) making theatre accessible to everyone. I saw Into The Woods there this summer, and was blown away! So I can only imagine how brilliant a production this would've been. Gosh, I would have LOVED to have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Sorry, it's not obvious, but "This is the official website" can be clicked to connect you! :)

    ReplyDelete