Sunday, October 28, 2012

Stereotypes


Even though, Allison was always more interested in masculine things growing up, rather than feminine things, I do not believe she ever actually wanted to be a man.  I think she was proud to be a woman even though she was interested in more masculine things. I think this is an interesting and empowering view, just because she was interested in masculine things I do not think this should label someone as wanting to be that gender, or even being bi, or gay. I think it is a simple matter of interests, and being more interested in something that men generally are interested in should classify what a person is. This is one thing I kind of disagreed with, is how Allison started to realize she was gay. I do not think it should have been all the small things she liked for example, dressing in her dads clothes, that made her realize she was gay. She should have realized that when she felt attracted to another woman, not by her interests.  I just don’t think those stereotypes are always true, and drawing conclusions on them seems kind of…wrong. 
This is a video I think is well suited for this post. It’s about a girl that dressed up as a man for over a year and then wrote a book about her experience.

1 comment:

  1. Nice link Luke, it's always interesting to see how the life of men and women can vary, and how that woman took it on herself to find out. It's kind of funny how ladies still were interested in her even though they found out she was a woman, I really doubt that would happen if it were the other way around.
    I both agree and disagree with what you said as well. I understand that yes, there are clearly bigger factors that played into Alison's sexuality, but since she realized she was gay so young (at 19) she may not have had a whole lot of real sexual experience that would have made it very clear to her. The little things build up to the bigger things I suppose? So it all comes out as important.
    This article gives some insight into children who show 'homosexual tendencies' at a young age and some stories about kids who were bullied/committed suicide over allegedly being gay. It explains to parents how they can show love to their children regardless of sexuality and how children pretending to be the opposite sex does not equal homosexuality. Goes hand in hand with your argument!

    ReplyDelete