Sunday, November 4, 2012

Do other graphic memoirs measure up?

      From what I’ve gathered from our engaging group discussions and enthusiastic posts, we’ve all been enjoying our “Fun Home” reading and researching experience. I certainly have! My role throughout this journey has been to discuss the genre of “Fun Home” and to highlight the distinguishing features of a graphic memoir from, well, a regular memoir. As part of this role, I thought it would be fun (no pun intended) to suggest a few other graphic memoirs for you to add to your reading list. From the hundreds I discovered, these are what I predict would be the three most interesting reads:





Dirt Candy: A Cookbook: Flavor-Forward Food from the Upstart New York City Vegetarian Restaurant by Amanda Cohen
A memoir under the mask of a cookbook!
Want to learn more about this memoir? Or better yet, want to book a reservation for Dirty Candy the restaurant in NYC? Click here! 







Maus by Art Spiegelman
Memoirs from a Holocaust Survivor’s son (First graphic memoir to win the Pulitzer Prize- this MUST be good!)

To read more, click here! Fun fact: This is from Time Magazine's "Top 10 Graphic Memoirs" list. And guess who else made it into that Top 10? Fun Home!! :) 










Scenes from an Impending Marriage by Adrian Tomine 
“A collection of short strips chronicling the often absurd process of getting married” 


For more information about this adorable read, click here!






 Have any of you already read one of these? Or what about another graphic memoir?

      If so, how would you compare it to Alison Bechdel’s “Fun Home”? Are her tongue-in-cheek ‘grappling graphics’ and ingeniously interwoven ‘tidbits’ of backstory unique to her style of (graphic) writing, or is this a common trait of most graphic memoirists? I look forward to reading other graphic memoirs in the future, though I think Bechdel may have set my expectations a little too high.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, not sure how I missed this post, it was a great idea to look into the genre! I've always meant to read Maus but never did, maybe now I'll give it a go. The cookbook memoir sounds like it could be very interesting as well, and the marriage one sounds potentially hilarious, it sort of brings to mind the movie I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. Staying in the theme of Fun Home, it's about two male friends who get married to overcome an archaic law. It deals with homophobia and those who protest it, throwing the main characters into an uncomfortable position where they see the hate from the other side of things and try to stop it.
    I actually don't think I've read another graphic memoir to compare to Fun Home, but I'd be more than willing to give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, great book recommendations! I've heard nothing but great things about the graphic novel, Maus. It was recommended to me numerous times but I never took the chance to actually read it; it would be a lot easier if someone could lend it to me. That said, I could probably pick up a copy at the Sheridan Library if I wanted to. That will be the next thing on my book list.

    If you're looking for another great memoir to sink your teeth into, Persepolis by Marjene Satrapi is something I'd recommend. I read this memoir in high school, and it tells the autobiographical tale of a young Satrapi as she grows up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. Like Bechdel, Satrapi goes through an intense personal journey as she encounters politics and the contradictions of her extraordinary country that we, as Westerners, will never be able to see. It was made into an animated film and has won numerous awards and recognition. Here is a trailer to the English trailer, even as a trailer, it's quite powerful and gives a good gist of Satrapi's amazing story.

    ReplyDelete