Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fun Home


When looking at the theme of “Fun Home” I could not help but noticing and relating to the relationship of Alison and her father. They are so disconnected, and distant from each other that they have never been able to open up and share things. Even though Alison was gay, and her dad as well, and I do not share this similarity I am still able to relate to this relationship.
Growing up I was a very private and closed off person, and so is my father, we never had any sort of bonding experiences, not until I grew up and we found common interests to bond over.  Just like in Fun Home Alison and her father were pretty distant until they found a common interest to bond over (literature).  Even if the bonding was a bit awkward I think that is a pretty common thing for many relationships with fathers, it definitely was for me

2 comments:

  1. You're definitely right Emily, about how bonding with fathers can be more difficult than with mothers. I can relate as well since my parents got divorced when I was very small, and thus I didn't spend nearly as much time with my father as I did my mother. Once he got divorced from his second wife when I was a teenager though, we became a lot closer and more open with each other. It's interesting to see this reoccurring theme with people, and how relatable it can be. Also, it's good when people can come together over similar interests or topics and change their relationship. This video discusses the importance of father/child bonding

    ReplyDelete