Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Distant

Alison’s father could be described as is loving, stern, distant, manipulative, and conflicted, but I think the one that really sticks out is distant. Although he was there for Allison he really wasn't  as Allison described it, it was like he was already dead. I think not being able to come out of the closest, or openly admit he was gay, really impacted his life. I would imagine it would impact anyone’s life keeping such a big issue a secret. Although Bruce tried to live a normal life and make the best of it, I think he could never feel complete, not living his life the way he would like to. This is what created the distance between him and his family, he was doing his duties, and he tried to make the best of it. But in the end there was too much missing and he could not cope with this. I think there is a good lesson here, instead of being what society wants or tells you to be, be true to yourself.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Luke,

    Reading this post about Bruce’s “distance” made me think of my peers and friends who are homosexual. Being in the music theatre program (where there are higher percentages of gay students; about half) I have witnessed several of my peers’ journeys ‘out of the closet’. And what a difference it has made in their lives! Suppressing “such a big issue” really does have an effect on someone’s daily life. I think a person’s sexual orientation is a big part of who they are (though I wouldn’t refer to being gay as an “issue”.) Whatever that orientation may be, having to keep who you are hidden distances you from people because you are not being honest with them or yourself. Here’s is a link to a blog titled “DCGT: Diary of a Closeted Gay Teen” , which I thought might give us a better understanding of what it is like to suppress one’s sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like his issue was being gay, wrong wording. I meant it more like his issue was not being able to come out. and thanks for the link it is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Luke,
    Don't worry, I figured you didn't mean for it to come across as that. I was on the board of trustees when the whole GSA "scandal" happened a few years ago in the Catholic School Boards, so I've become über-sensitive to 'appropriate language' and what not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete